Sometimes I need a lot of food and I just don't have the time, so I break out my slow cooker. This is one of my favorites to cook up. There are a lot of variations that you can put together this recipe. ENJOY!!!
1 hour 40 minutes
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons salt
2.5 to 3 lb. pork shoulder
1-4oz. can green chilis
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons water
1/2 lime, juiced
- First, place the pork shoulder on a large plate or cutting board. Remove any string using scissors and add all spices to a small mixing bowl and mix.
- Pour spices over the pork shoulder and massage spices into the meat. Set aside.
- Turn Instant Pot on to the saute feature and drizzle bottom of the pot with olive oil. When olive oil is fragrant, place the pork shoulder in the Instant Pot. Let sear for 2 minutes on each side.
- Pour green chilis over the pork shoulder, add water, and cover Instant Pot.
Turn pressure valve to seal, set pressure to high pressure, and set the timer to 90 minutes.
- When the meat is done cooking, quick-release pressure by turning the pressure valve to vent. Remove cover and pull the pork apart with two forks. It should be deliciously falling apart. Remove any large chunks of fat.*
- Once shredded, squeeze on lime juice.
- Serve as carnitas tacos, over nachos, or in a bowl of some sort.
Option to remove some of the liquid before shredding. Do note that you’ll be getting rid of a lot of flavors if you do that!