We all know that making ground turkey equals one thing, dry meat. I have tried a few different recipes of the years to not get the end result of dry ground turkey that I choke on. I finally found this recipe and IT IS DELICIOUS! You can put it over the type of rice you like but I prefer it just plain without the carbs. I hope you like it as well!
Turkey Meatball Soup Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Per 1 1/2-cup serving:
15 g fat (4 g sat)
33 g carbs
1290 mg sodium
5 g fiber
7.5 g sugar
32 g protein
1 pound lean ground turkey
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 teaspoon chilli powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 cups of water
2 carrots, sliced crosswise into ?-inch disks
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped coarsely
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 zucchini, diced large
4 wedges Laughing Cow light creamy Swiss cheese
3 teaspoons hot sauce (optional)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 lime, sliced into 4 wedges
- Using your hands, combine the turkey with the next 6 ingredients (through egg) in a medium bowl and place in the refrigerator.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic, chilli powder and cumin and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and water, increase heat to high and bring to a simmer.
Add carrots, tomatoes and tomato paste to the broth, stir to combine and return to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and roll heaping tablespoons of meat into 1-inch balls, wetting your hands as necessary to prevent sticking, and carefully drop meatballs into the soup. Return to a simmer and cover the pot with a lid. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and simmer uncovered until the zucchini is tender about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, hot sauce and oregano.
- Serve with cilantro and a wedge of lime.